All rugs and carpets require proper maintenance if you want them to look their best. As the saying goes, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Here are some tips for maintaining your precious rugs:
- Rotate your rugs at least once a week to clean off the dust.
- Vacuum your carpet at least three times a week. Be sure your vacuum cleaner has a high-efficiency particulate filter if anyone in your house is sensitive to allergens.
- Use an underlay beneath rugs to prevent discoloration of the floor.
- Read the manufacturer’s guidelines for care and maintenance. They’re usually attached to a new rug.
- Quickly clean up spills. Small stains can be removed with Chem-Dry Professional Strength Spot Remover.
- Use a rug pad, which will serve as shock absorber. A quality pad makes the carpet more comfortable to walk on, and it will help preserve the fibres from the wear and tear caused by buckling and slipping.
- Place rugs on wet floors.
- Allow anyone to walk around your house with shoes. This will extend the life of your rugs and carpets.
- Place a rug in your home’s entranceway. It’s prone to dirt and heavy foot traffic. If you do have a rug in this area, protect it with a barrier mat.
Is that too much information? If so, consider hiring a professional to help you maintain and clean your carpets. Pros have the necessary equipment, cleansers and knowledge to get the job done quickly and correctly.